Table of Contents
A new or refinished hardwood floor is like a new car. It’s magic the first time we lay eyes on it, and we want to keep it in pristine condition forever. Of course, life happens, and homes are made to be lived in. Your hardwood is likely to get scratched by kids, pets, or furniture. Fortunately, when it comes to furniture, there are easy steps you can take to protect your investment.
- Rugs, rugs, rugs. Place rugs under your heavy furniture to provide a layer of protection. They also add color and pizzazz to any room. There are so many fun sizes, designs, and colors to choose from. If you can’t find one you like, ask us about custom rugs for any space.
- Furniture pads are a lifesaver. They can be nailed to your furniture or applied with adhesive. Furniture pads usually consist of a felt layer for protection and a rubber foam layer against the floor to keep furniture from moving around. You can use them for tables, chairs, sofas and other pieces. You can even find extra-thick pads for heavy furniture.
- Don’t drag your furniture. If you’ve got the urge to rearrange, wait until your spouse or a friend can help gently lift your pieces.
What Should I Consider When Choosing Furniture Pads?
Do your research when choosing furniture pads. Your choice will depend on the piece you’re working with and your flooring. Here are a few things to consider:
- Select the thickness of the pad based on the weight of your furniture.
- Find the right size. You don’t want the pad sticking out from under the furniture’s feet. Measure the feet and select a size to match, or purchase padding designed to cut your own.
- Choose a shape that corresponds with the furniture feet.
- Furniture pads come in dark and light colors to match your flooring.
How Can I Protect My Flooring From Barstools?
Barstools are a huge seating trend in kitchens and dining areas. They usually see plenty of action, especially if you have kids or do lots of entertaining. To protect your floors in an eco-friendly way, consider placing felt pads under barstool legs to prevent scratches. Here are a few tips for protecting your hardwood:
- Put a rug under your barstools.
- Use nail-on furniture pads (stick-on pads may fall off with lots of movement).
- Buy stools with floor protectors pre-attached.
- Consider swivel stools: the seats move while the base stays in one place.
When Is It Time to Refinish My Hardwood?
If you have light scratching, you may want to consider a buff-and-coat: a gentle buffing with a fresh protective layer of polyurethane. But if you have more severe scratching or damage, refinishing is your best bet. Here are some signs it may be time to refinish:
- Heavy scratching
- Warping or gouges in the floorboards
- Water damage
- Creaking floorboards
- Sun damage or discoloration
- It’s time for a color change
Whether you need a simple buff and coat or are ready for refinishing, Loudoun Valley Floors has got you covered. Our team of professionals has the skills, knowledge, and top-notch equipment to help you protect your treasured hardwoods and keep them gorgeous for years to come.