In the age of big-box stores and online retailers, small businesses have taken a hit. But when it comes to flooring, many local companies are still going strong. And with good reason: independent flooring companies offer a commitment to quality and a level of service that’s hard to match. Here’s a look at why it makes sense to shop local for your flooring needs.
What Is an Independent Flooring Store?
An independent flooring store is a local or regional store that usually has fewer than 10 locations. They’re often family-owned and have built up their business over years or decades. Instead of large-scale marketing campaigns, local pros rely on reputation, word of mouth, and loyal customers.
What Are the Advantages over a Big Box Store?
When it comes to flooring, when we talk about big box stores, we’re usually talking about home improvement warehouses like Home Depot and Lowes. However, warehouse stores like Costco also offer limited flooring options. There are certainly some situations where it makes sense to buy flooring from a big-box retailer. But for most of us, choosing an independent company has clear advantages.
- If you go with a big box store, they’ll likely have a contractor do the job, not an employee of their company. When you choose a local company, they employ their own regular crews, offering reliability and continuity of service.
- Since independent companies can’t always compete in terms of price alone, most of them find their niche in top-quality products and craftsmanship.
- Independent flooring companies are specialists, while big-box stores cover just about everything related to home improvement. Local stores employ an experienced, educated staff of flooring experts.
- Independent flooring businesses prioritize building personal relationships and a sense of trust with customers. There’s a sense of ownership and accountability that just can’t be found in larger operations. Have questions or concerns? You can reach out to the boss.
- Local companies rely on a reputation built over the years with local references. Need an unbiased opinion? Ask your neighbors.
- Supporting a local business that employs skilled local professionals contributes to a robust local economy. Small businesses remain the backbone of our communities.
How Can I Compare Pricing with Big Box Stores?
If you’re looking at the price per square foot, big box stores are almost always cheaper. When you factor in quality, customer services, and relationships, you get a much better picture of the real bang for your buck. It’s true: independent flooring companies lack the extraordinary economies of scale that the big box stores have. They’re getting the product cheaper because they buy in vast quantities, and they can pass that on to consumers to a certain degree. If you’re on a tight budget, the prices per square foot tend to be lower at big box stores. You can get even lower prices online if you’re a qualified DIYer with plenty of time on your hands. However, most homeowners are ready to pay a little more for quality materials and installation, customer service, and a relationship with a trusted provider. Independent flooring companies work to offer customers a fair price based on their wholesale and labor costs, and the responsiveness is unparalleled.
Shop Local with Loudoun Valley Floors
Loudoun Valley Floors has been a proud independent flooring company for three decades. Our ideal customer is someone who values our expertise in making decisions. We offer the very best flooring products in a range of price points. But our biggest asset is our skilled professional team that only does flooring. Our team allows us to offer consistent continuity of service on every job. We’ve topped the flooring category in the Loudoun Times-Mirror’s and Loudoun Now’s annual Loudoun polls for the past 13 years and are honored to again be number one in 2020. But if you want an honest opinion, don’t ask us. Check out our reviews online and ask our many loyal local customers. Their excellent reviews and repeat business speak louder than anything.