Oriental rugs are one of the loveliest ways to accent a room. Their colors and designs are hard to top. They’re also expensive and delicate, so we want to take care when using them and cleaning them. Authentic oriental rugs are hand-woven, usually made of wool or silk. Some feature dyes that are not colorfast, so we need to be cautious. Finding a professional cleaning service with oriental rug expertise is your best bet.
Do Oriental Rugs Need to Be Cleaned?
Even in low-traffic areas, oriental rugs trap dust and microbes. They should be vacuumed or shaken regularly, spot cleaned as needed, and professionally cleaned yearly. Some tips for keeping oriental rugs clean include:
- Limit use by placing them in low-traffic areas.
- Take off your shoes before walking on oriental rugs.
- Rotate your rug regularly to avoid matting and discoloration
- Check your rug’s label for cleaning instructions.
- Vacuum your rug regularly on both sides. For smaller rugs, the time-honored practice of gently beating outside is an excellent way to remove dust and dirt.
- Spot clean as stains occur. Blot – don’t rub – and test for colorfastness before you apply any liquid.
- If your rug is not valuable, you can try a rug shampoo machine with a special product for oriental rugs. However, for most oriental rugs, deep cleaning on your own is a no-no. You can ruin your investment with DIY efforts.
- Never get your oriental rugs completely wet. They are highly challenging to dry, and a DIY cleaning can lead to mold and mildew that you’ll never get out.
- Get a professional cleaning once a year.
How Do I Clean a Wool Rug?
Wool rugs are durable and beautiful, with a price tag to match. They require frequent maintenance to help them look their best to keep dirt from accumulating in the fibers.
- Vacuum the front and back, shake or gently beat for regular upkeep.
- Spot clean with a solution made of 8 parts water, 1 part white vinegar and a small amount of mild liquid dish detergent.
- Wool rugs are prone to bleeding colors, so be sure to do a test before you apply liquid.
- Professionally clean once a year.
How Often Should My Oriental Rug Be Cleaned?
The frequency of cleaning depends on how you use your rug. Is it in a high or low-traffic area? Do you have pets? Do you wear your shoes inside the house? You can vacuum or shake once weekly for higher traffic and monthly for lower traffic. Invest in a professional cleaning once a year to keep your rug fresh and vibrant.
Protect and Preserve Your Oriental Rugs with Professional Cleaning
We’ve seen way too many DIY cleaning disasters with oriental rugs: colors that fade or bleed, fibers that get wet and never dry, leaving a lingering odor of mildew. When you invest in a gorgeous oriental rug, it’s worth investing in professional cleaning too.
Loudoun Carpet Care offers in-home or in-shop cleaning for all types of rugs. We use the safest, most environmentally friendly cleaning methods. Our team personalizes each service with specialized products designed and pH balanced for oriental rugs. We also use speed drying techniques to prevent dampness. We’ll pick up your rug and clean it in our plant. Many customers have us pick up rugs in summer, clean them and return them in excellent shape for fall. We’ll treat your oriental rugs with the knowledge and care they deserve.